Notification in AP over illegal maritime entrants
Hyderabad: Amid safety concerns of Asylum seekers travelling to Australia, the Andhra Pradesh government has issued a notification that discourages the illegal maritime entrants.
Recently a boat carrying 55 people to Australia capsized in the Indian Ocean prompting the Island nation to come out with stricter norms for people seeking asylum.
The Australian government has expressed its concern over the increased number of people attempting to travel to Australia by boat to claim asylum in their country.
In order to discourage people from risking their lives in undergoing such perilous journeys, the Australian government has adopted a new policy, under which asylum seekers arriving by boat (irregular maritime entrants) will be transferred to another country to get their claims processed.
The Australian government has signed a MoU with Nauruan government on August 29, 2012 for the said purpose, the Andhra Pradesh government said.
"The Special Secretary has further informed that the Government of Andhra Pradesh notifies that people attempting to travel to Australia by boat to take asylum are discouraged and any attempts in this regard will entail the Australian Government to transfer the irregular maritime entrants to another country to get their claims processed,” the AP government’s communication said.
Australia has been facing a steady influx of asylum-seekers arriving by boat, by paying to smugglers for passage on leaky wooden vessels after fleeing their home countries.
Hundreds have reportedly died making the treacherous journey over the past few years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read