Notification in AP over illegal maritime entrants
Hyderabad: Amid safety concerns of Asylum seekers travelling to Australia, the Andhra Pradesh government has issued a notification that discourages the illegal maritime entrants.
Recently a boat carrying 55 people to Australia capsized in the Indian Ocean prompting the Island nation to come out with stricter norms for people seeking asylum.
The Australian government has expressed its concern over the increased number of people attempting to travel to Australia by boat to claim asylum in their country.
In order to discourage people from risking their lives in undergoing such perilous journeys, the Australian government has adopted a new policy, under which asylum seekers arriving by boat (irregular maritime entrants) will be transferred to another country to get their claims processed.
The Australian government has signed a MoU with Nauruan government on August 29, 2012 for the said purpose, the Andhra Pradesh government said.
"The Special Secretary has further informed that the Government of Andhra Pradesh notifies that people attempting to travel to Australia by boat to take asylum are discouraged and any attempts in this regard will entail the Australian Government to transfer the irregular maritime entrants to another country to get their claims processed,” the AP government’s communication said.
Australia has been facing a steady influx of asylum-seekers arriving by boat, by paying to smugglers for passage on leaky wooden vessels after fleeing their home countries.
Hundreds have reportedly died making the treacherous journey over the past few years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- 'EgyptAir Flight 804 broke up in midair after a fire'
- Warrants issued in Turkey for arrest of 300 Presidential Guards
- Democrat Hilary Clinton picks Kaine as vice presidential running mate
- Munich shooter was German-Iranian, motive `unclear`: Police
- Rajnath Singh to arrive in trouble-torn Kashmir on Saturday