Notorious criminal killed in police encounter
Bangalore: A criminal, wanted in more than 40
cases, was killed in an encounter with the city police in the
wee hours on Wednesday morning here, officials said.
Akram (31), who was wanted in more than 40 cases, including
in the murder case of a realtor, was intercepted by two teams
of police while he was going in a car along with his associate
Dinesh near HMT park, City Police Commissioner Jyotiprakash
Mirji told reporters here.
When the police team asked him to surrender, Akram opened
three rounds of fire and one of the bullets scraped through
the bullet proof jacket of Crime Branch ACP Nyamegowda, Mirji
Inspector Nagaraj, who was leading another police team to
hunt Akram, immediately opened fire. Akram who suffered
serious head injury was rushed to a hospital where doctors
declared him brought dead, he said.
Dinesh managed to flee the spot, Mirji said.
Akram had escaped from police custody twice earlier and was
wanted in connection with at least 36 car theft cases, an
attempt to murder and other cases, Mirji said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- DNA: Dr Subhash Chandra show on importance of 'Social media networking'
- Erdogan says EU `biased and prejudiced` towards Turkey after coup bid
- Jailed Venezuelan opposition leader appeals sentence
- Cambodia blocking ASEAN consensus on South China Sea: Diplomat
- Turkey can hold suspects without charge for up to 30 days
- Piramal Enterprises to raise Rs 300 cr via non-convertible debentures