NRI devotee donates Rs 16 crore to Balaji temple
Tirupati: In a princely offering, an NRI devotee from US on Tuesday donated Rs 16 crore to the famous hill shrine of Lord Venkateswara at nearby Tirumala.
M Ramalinga Raju, an entrepreneur based in the United States, handed over the offering in the form of a demand draft to top temple officials, temple sources said.
They said this was the first such large cash offering made by an individual devotee from overseas.
Raju presented the DD to Tirumala-Tirupati Devasthanams (TTD) Chairman K. Bapiraju and the temple Joint Executive Officer K.S. Srinivasa Raju at the temple.
He requested the TTD, administering the cash-rich ancient temple, that Rs 11 crore be used to make a golden garland "sahasra nama mala" weighing about 35 kg and utilise the balance Rs five crore for the construction of a free-meal complex for pilgrims at Tiruchanur near here, they said.
This is the second large cash offering since last month. On March 27, a Chennai-based pharmaceutical firm had donated Rs two crore to the hill shrine, they added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Watch Video - World's highest glass-bottom bridge opens in China 600 feet above a canyon!
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony