NTR`s actor son ready to contest elections
Hyderabad: Former Andhra Pradesh chief minister NT Rama Rao`s son and popular Telugu film actor N Balakrishna on Sunday confirmed he would contest the next Assembly elections.
Balakrishna would play an active role in the Telugu Desam Party (TDP) founded by NTR.
"I will do my best to strengthen the party in the state," Balakrishna told reporters at Anantapur, 350 km here.
But Balakrishna has not yet decided the assembly constituency he would contest from. He, however, clarified that he has no plans to become the chief minister.
The 51-year-old actor along with his nephew and young star Junior NTR, had campaigned for TDP in the 2009 elections but did not participate in the party activities.
Balakrishna`s daughter Brahmani is married to Lokesh, son of his brother-in-law and TDP Chief N Chandrababu Naidu.
NTR, a popular film actor, had formed TDP in 1982 and had come to power within nine months.
NTR, who was unseated in a coup led by his son-in-law Naidu in Aug 1995, died five months later.
Earlier this year, there were reports of a succession war between the families of NTR and Naidu.
NTR`s elder son, TDP politburo member N Harikrishna, had openly expressed his resentment at the party conclave in May over the alleged attempts by Naidu to promote his son Lokesh as his successor.
Harikrishna is reportedly keen to see his son Junior NTR as the next TDP chief.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cheat days? John Abraham’s words will give you serious fitness goals – Read more
- Govt lists GST Bill for consideration and passage in Rajya Sabha's agenda for next week
- Kasol - Rejuvenate yourself with serenity, peace in the nature's lap
- Gurgaon waterlogging: This is how Twitterati reacted after traffic choked Gurugram
- Bridge collapses in Nepal due to flooding – watch dramatic video