NTR`s actor son ready to contest elections
Hyderabad: Former Andhra Pradesh chief minister NT Rama Rao`s son and popular Telugu film actor N Balakrishna on Sunday confirmed he would contest the next Assembly elections.
Balakrishna would play an active role in the Telugu Desam Party (TDP) founded by NTR.
"I will do my best to strengthen the party in the state," Balakrishna told reporters at Anantapur, 350 km here.
But Balakrishna has not yet decided the assembly constituency he would contest from. He, however, clarified that he has no plans to become the chief minister.
The 51-year-old actor along with his nephew and young star Junior NTR, had campaigned for TDP in the 2009 elections but did not participate in the party activities.
Balakrishna`s daughter Brahmani is married to Lokesh, son of his brother-in-law and TDP Chief N Chandrababu Naidu.
NTR, a popular film actor, had formed TDP in 1982 and had come to power within nine months.
NTR, who was unseated in a coup led by his son-in-law Naidu in Aug 1995, died five months later.
Earlier this year, there were reports of a succession war between the families of NTR and Naidu.
NTR`s elder son, TDP politburo member N Harikrishna, had openly expressed his resentment at the party conclave in May over the alleged attempts by Naidu to promote his son Lokesh as his successor.
Harikrishna is reportedly keen to see his son Junior NTR as the next TDP chief.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks