Number of elections lined up in Andhra this year
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh will witness a
series of elections in 2012 including by-polls for seven
Assembly seats that fell vacant in November last.
The seats fell vacant following the resignation of MLAs
on different issues. Of the total seven, six seats are in
Telangana region and the other in coastal Andhra.
However, by-elections will also become inevitable in 17
other seats -- one in Telangana and the rest in
Andhra-Rayalaseema regions -- if as many MLAs, belonging to
the ruling Congress and (one of) the erstwhile Praja Rajyam
Party (PRP), get disqualified for voting against the
government in the Assembly in December last.
The disqualification petitions are expected to be
disposed of in the next few days ahead of the ensuing budget
session of the Legislature.
Also, three Congress members of the Legislative Council
are facing disqualification for going against the party and
by-elections should be held for these seats as well, in the
event of their disqualification.
Soon after the by-elections, biennial elections to six
Rajya Sabha seats from the state are due in April.
The outcome of the by-elections to the Assembly seats
will determine whether or not the Congress government dares to
go for the long overdue elections to urban local bodies as
well as rural local bodies. But, the government will be left
with no option except to conduct the local bodies` elections
to avert any constitutional crisis.
Immediately thereafter, elections to co-operative
institutions, which are also overdue, need to be held.
But, all eyes are focused primarily on the
by-elections -- being dubbed as the `mini general elections`
-- for the Assembly seats, as the stakes are very high for the
four main parties.
The fate of the Kiran Kumar Reddy government hinges on
the outcome of the by-polls as, on its own, it has now been
reduced to a minority in the 294-member House.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok