OMC scam: Centre nod to prosecute suspended IAS officer
Hyderabad: The CBI has got Centre`s nod for sanction to prosecute suspended IAS officer Y Srilakshmi, an accused in the Obulapuram Mining Company (OMC) scam involving ex-Karnataka minister Gali Janardhan Reddy, under Prevention of Corruption Act.
The development paves the way for the court to take cognisance of relevant sections under Prevention of Corruption Act against Srilakshmi.
The agency on Thursday filed a memo before the Principal Special Court for CBI cases here on the sanction order of the Centre to prosecute Srilkashmi under Prevention of Corruption Act.
Earlier, the court took cognisance of the offences against the IAS officer under sections 120-b (punishment for criminal conspiracy) and 409 (criminal breach of trust by public servant) of IPC, but could not under the Prevention of Corruption Act against the pendency of the sanction order.
"The sanction order has been filed before the court as an additional document. The court may now take cognisance of the sections under PC Act", CBI officials said.
A 1988 batch IAS officer, Srilakshmi was the commissioner of Health and Family Welfare when she was arrested on November 28 last by CBI for allegedly abusing her earlier official position as the secretary (Industries and Commerce) to favour OMC in allotment of mining leases in nexus with Reddy and others.
The agency in its supplementary chargesheet filed in the OMC case on March 30 had named Srilakshmi as a co-conspirator.
It is mandatory for the investigating agency to seek prosecution sanction against the IAS officers from government for court to take cognisance of the chargesheet.
Srilakshmi, who was granted interim bail in October last on health grounds, has recently sought extension of the interim bail which expires on March 20.
The state government had earlier given its sanction for prosecution for IAS officers Srilakshmi and B P Acharya in the Emmar case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price