OMC scam: Centre nod to prosecute suspended IAS officer
Hyderabad: The CBI has got Centre`s nod for sanction to prosecute suspended IAS officer Y Srilakshmi, an accused in the Obulapuram Mining Company (OMC) scam involving ex-Karnataka minister Gali Janardhan Reddy, under Prevention of Corruption Act.
The development paves the way for the court to take cognisance of relevant sections under Prevention of Corruption Act against Srilakshmi.
The agency on Thursday filed a memo before the Principal Special Court for CBI cases here on the sanction order of the Centre to prosecute Srilkashmi under Prevention of Corruption Act.
Earlier, the court took cognisance of the offences against the IAS officer under sections 120-b (punishment for criminal conspiracy) and 409 (criminal breach of trust by public servant) of IPC, but could not under the Prevention of Corruption Act against the pendency of the sanction order.
"The sanction order has been filed before the court as an additional document. The court may now take cognisance of the sections under PC Act", CBI officials said.
A 1988 batch IAS officer, Srilakshmi was the commissioner of Health and Family Welfare when she was arrested on November 28 last by CBI for allegedly abusing her earlier official position as the secretary (Industries and Commerce) to favour OMC in allotment of mining leases in nexus with Reddy and others.
The agency in its supplementary chargesheet filed in the OMC case on March 30 had named Srilakshmi as a co-conspirator.
It is mandatory for the investigating agency to seek prosecution sanction against the IAS officers from government for court to take cognisance of the chargesheet.
Srilakshmi, who was granted interim bail in October last on health grounds, has recently sought extension of the interim bail which expires on March 20.
The state government had earlier given its sanction for prosecution for IAS officers Srilakshmi and B P Acharya in the Emmar case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack