Oppn stalls proceedings in AP Assembly over JLC probe
Hyderabad: The Congress government in Andhra
Pradesh continued to face the heat of a combined opposition onslaught in the Assembly for the third consecutive day Friday, as the latter stalled proceedings demanding constitution of a
Joint Legislature Committee (JLC) to probe the various land
deals since 2004.
Assurance by Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy that the
government would make a statement in the Assembly on Monday on
the controversial land allotments did not satisfy main
opposition Telugu Desam Party.
The TDP MLAs, who stormed the Speaker`s podium demanding a JLC, forced adjournment of the proceedings twice this morning.
As soon as the House assembled this morning, the TDP
members trooped into the Well of the House holding placards
and demanding that the JLC be constituted to probe the
controversial land allotments. The CPM and the CPI supported
Officiating Speaker Nadendla Manohar repeatedly appealed
to the members to ensure order in the House but to no avail.
This led to the first adjournment for 15 minutes.
When the House re-assembled after 70 minutes, the TDP
legislators were on their feet again with their demand.
The Chief Minister intervened to tell the House that the
government would not only review the land allotments case by
case but also the entire allotment policy.
"We are committed on the issue. We shall make a statement
on the issue on Monday," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- Preity Zinta to tie the knot this Valentine?