Oppn wants bypolls for political mileage: AP CM
Visakhapatnam: Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy on Sunday virtually kicked off a campaign for the upcoming bypolls for 18 constituencies in the state by launching a mass contact programme, where he trained his guns on the opposition parties.
Reddy, who launched `Praja Patham` (on people`s path), Nakkapalli village in the district today, said that he regretted the frequent byelections in the state.
Bypolls are taking place every three months. The opposition parties, including TDP, TRS and the YSR Congress wanted frequent by-polls for gaining political mileage, he alleged.
Observing that he might have assumed charge as the Chief Minister at an inauspicious time, he said there have been challenges on various fronts.
While one challenge is demand for separate state (Telangana), another is attempts to rock the boat of Congress.
YS Rajasekhara Reddy built the Congress in the state brick by brick but his son and President of YSR Congress Party YS Jagan Mohan Reddy is trying to destroy Congress Party, he alleged.
The Congress government is trying to address all the issues despite the challenges, he said.
Reddy also announced some sops to Nakkapalli, which is situated in Payakaraopet assembly seat where bypoll will be held, including setting up a Degree College, upgrading the Government hospital to 50 beds, establishing a residential school for fishermen children at a cost of around Rs 7.5 crore besides around 3,000 LPG connections to the Nakkapalle area.
Out of the 18 constituencies, the bypolls in 16 assembly seats are necessitated due to the disqualification of sitting Congress MLAs, who switched loyalty to Jagan and voted against the Congress government during a floor test in December last, while one MLA quit in support of the Kadapa MP.
Actor-turned-politician Chiranjeevi had also quit as MLA, following his election to Rajya Sabha, which caused a bypoll.
The Chief Minister administered polio drops to children in Visakhapatnam before leaving for Nakkapalli village.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured