Oppn wants bypolls for political mileage: AP CM
Visakhapatnam: Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy on Sunday virtually kicked off a campaign for the upcoming bypolls for 18 constituencies in the state by launching a mass contact programme, where he trained his guns on the opposition parties.
Reddy, who launched `Praja Patham` (on people`s path), Nakkapalli village in the district today, said that he regretted the frequent byelections in the state.
Bypolls are taking place every three months. The opposition parties, including TDP, TRS and the YSR Congress wanted frequent by-polls for gaining political mileage, he alleged.
Observing that he might have assumed charge as the Chief Minister at an inauspicious time, he said there have been challenges on various fronts.
While one challenge is demand for separate state (Telangana), another is attempts to rock the boat of Congress.
YS Rajasekhara Reddy built the Congress in the state brick by brick but his son and President of YSR Congress Party YS Jagan Mohan Reddy is trying to destroy Congress Party, he alleged.
The Congress government is trying to address all the issues despite the challenges, he said.
Reddy also announced some sops to Nakkapalli, which is situated in Payakaraopet assembly seat where bypoll will be held, including setting up a Degree College, upgrading the Government hospital to 50 beds, establishing a residential school for fishermen children at a cost of around Rs 7.5 crore besides around 3,000 LPG connections to the Nakkapalle area.
Out of the 18 constituencies, the bypolls in 16 assembly seats are necessitated due to the disqualification of sitting Congress MLAs, who switched loyalty to Jagan and voted against the Congress government during a floor test in December last, while one MLA quit in support of the Kadapa MP.
Actor-turned-politician Chiranjeevi had also quit as MLA, following his election to Rajya Sabha, which caused a bypoll.
The Chief Minister administered polio drops to children in Visakhapatnam before leaving for Nakkapalli village.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Google honours legendary singer Mukesh with a doodle on 93rd birth anniversary
- Start Brexit negotiations as soon as possible: Hollande urges Britain
- 'Months before her assassination, pro-Khalistan leader had predicted Indira Gandhi's killing'
- ‘Kabali’ mania grips nation: Here’s why Rajinikanth is the one and only Thalaiva
- 1st Test, Day 1: Virat Kohli's brilliant ton puts India on top against West Indies