Opposition leader quits over Telangana
Hyderabad: Telugu Desam Party politburo member and Leader of Opposition in Andhra Pradesh Legislative Council, Yanamala Ramakrishnudu, on Friday tendered resignation from his post, protesting against "the manner" in which Congress proposed to bifurcate the state.
Yanamala, who previously served as Speaker of AP Legislative Assembly, faxed his resignation as an MLC to Council Chairman A Chakrapani, party sources said.
"The incidents that are taking place in Andhra-Rayalaseema, from the time the Congress Central Working Committee took the decision to bifurcate the state, have deeply hurt me."
"The Seemaandhra region has been continuously on fire and burning for which Sonia Gandhi is solely responsible," Yanamala said in a letter to the Council Chairman.
It was late Y S Rajasekhara Reddy who was responsible (for the current situation) as he first lit the fire, he said.
Both the state and the UPA government have been adding fuel to the fire without addressing the people`s concerns, he alleged.
"Since my heart is burning due to the developments in Seemaandhra, I am not inclined to continue as member of the Legislative Council," Yanamala said.
Though the TDP has announced it was not against the state`s division, it has been demanding that the Central government first address concerns of people of Andhra-Rayalaseema regions.
TDP president N Chandrababu Naidu has written two letters so far to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh seeking his immediate intervention to resolve all contentious issues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back