Opposition leader quits over Telangana
Hyderabad: Telugu Desam Party politburo member and Leader of Opposition in Andhra Pradesh Legislative Council, Yanamala Ramakrishnudu, on Friday tendered resignation from his post, protesting against "the manner" in which Congress proposed to bifurcate the state.
Yanamala, who previously served as Speaker of AP Legislative Assembly, faxed his resignation as an MLC to Council Chairman A Chakrapani, party sources said.
"The incidents that are taking place in Andhra-Rayalaseema, from the time the Congress Central Working Committee took the decision to bifurcate the state, have deeply hurt me."
"The Seemaandhra region has been continuously on fire and burning for which Sonia Gandhi is solely responsible," Yanamala said in a letter to the Council Chairman.
It was late Y S Rajasekhara Reddy who was responsible (for the current situation) as he first lit the fire, he said.
Both the state and the UPA government have been adding fuel to the fire without addressing the people`s concerns, he alleged.
"Since my heart is burning due to the developments in Seemaandhra, I am not inclined to continue as member of the Legislative Council," Yanamala said.
Though the TDP has announced it was not against the state`s division, it has been demanding that the Central government first address concerns of people of Andhra-Rayalaseema regions.
TDP president N Chandrababu Naidu has written two letters so far to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh seeking his immediate intervention to resolve all contentious issues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- It may soon be time to say goodbye to dripping ice cream cones!
- Learn how much exercise you need to prevent death
- Scorpene leak: Data includes details on missile likely to be used in submarines
- West Indies vs India, 2nd T20I: Wet outfield denies MS Dhoni & Co chance to level series
- Two minors held for gang-raping minor in Delhi