Opposition parties, allies corner AP govt over power crisis
Hyderabad: The Kiran Kumar Reddy government
in Andhra Pradesh on Tuesday had tough time facing the onslaught of
a combined opposition in the assembly over severe power crisis
facing the state.
Besides the opposition parties like Telugu Desam, CPI,
CPM and Lok Satta, its allies Praja Rajyam and
Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen also cornered the Congress for
failing to handle the power situation prudently.
"In the last seven years, the Congress government failed
to display foresight to improve power production resulting in
the state facing severe crisis every summer. This is crippling
the state’s growth, particularly in the industrial and the
agricultural sectors," the opposition parties said.
The TDP, CPI and CPM staged a walk-out from the House
protesting the government?s `lackadaisical response` to the
issue and rejection of demand to form a Legislative Committee
for an on-the-field study of the power situation in the state.
The state-owned Power Distribution Companies were pushed
into the red as the government failed to pay dues of Rs 13,000
crore, Leader of Opposition N Chandrababu Naidu said, during a
short discussion on the power crisis in the state.
"Not a single new project has come up in the state in
the last seven years to enhance power generation. The state
had gone back by 10 to 15 years in the power sector because of
the lopsided policies pursued by the Congress," he alleged.
It was only because of the reforms he introduced in the
power sector during his tenure as Chief Minister that the
system was surviving despite the serious neglect by the
Congress government, Chandrababu observed.
He also questioned the Congress over its failure to
implement the election-eve promise of nine-hour free power
supply daily to the farm sector and wanted to know when the
government would keep its word.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?