Opposition parties in AP protest move to hike power tariff
Hyderabad: Slamming the Congress government`s reported move to hike power tariff, various opposition parties today organised protests at different places in the state.
The proposal was also opposed by senior Congress Rajya Sabha member V Hanumantha Rao who sought that the government reconsider it.
The move would face tremendous opposition from the people who are already paying hefty surcharge levied on power consumption, he said.
Speaking at a protest in Vijayawada, CPI(M) state secretary B V Raghavulu said electricity consumers should write letters to the Chief Minister voicing their opposition.
The CPI(M) and CPI activists organised protests at various other places in the state.
Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) leaders and workers held a demonstration this evening carrying lanterns.
"We warn the government to immediately withdraw the move," TRS floor leader in the assembly E Rajender said.
The power distribution companies have reportedly submitted proposals to the AP Electricity Regulatory Commission for permission to raise Rs 12,723 crore additionally from consumers.
Meanwhile, State Endowments Minister C Ramachandraiah has also expressed opposition to the proposal to hike power tariff.
He shot off a letter to state Congress president Botsa Satyanarayana suggesting that the proposal should be discussed within the party first.
Media reports of sharp increase in power tariff has come as a bolt from the blue to the people of the state, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH