Opposition stalls proceedings of AP Assembly
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh Assembly remained paralysed over Telangana for the third day on Wednesday as TDP and TRS members stalled the proceedings demanding a discussion and adoption of a resolution on the statehood issue.
The House had to be adjourned for 15 minutes for the first time as TDP and TRS legislators surrounded the Speaker`s podium raising slogans in support of their demand.
A couple of independent MLAs also joined the protest. The House resumed after 130 minutes but there was no let up in the opposition`s stance.
Even as the din continued, Speaker rushed through the business of moving demands for grants related to different departments.
A Bill to amend the Excise Act was also passed. Speaker Nadendla Manohar, on behalf of the House, moved a motion appealing to youths and students not to resort to suicide.
"It`s a matter of grave concern that some youths are committing suicide in the state in recent days. In a democracy, solution to any vexatious issue can be found only in an amicable manner and suicides are not a solution," the Speaker observed.
He expressed sympathies to the bereaved families. As the TDP and TRS members continued to raising slogans remaining in the Well of the House, a few Congress legislators from Telangana too rose to their feet at their respective positions and joined chorus.
The Speaker then adjourned the House for another ten minutes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened