Order on Jaganmohan Reddy`s bail plea posted to Sept 23
Hyderabad: A special Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) court in Andhra Pradesh posted to September 23 orders on the YSR Congress party president YS Jaganmohan Reddy`s bail petition in the disproportionate assets case.
The special CBI court on Wednesday heard arguments from the lawyers of both Jaganmohan Reddy and the CBI.
The investigating agency opposed the bail plea on the ground that since Jaganmohan Reddy is a member of parliament and a powerful politician, he could influence the witnesses if released on bail.
The CBI, in its counter to the bail petition, informed the court that it completed the probe in the case within the four months given by the Supreme Court and that the trial would commence soon.
The federal agency also told the trial court that the Supreme Court did not say that the accused may be granted bail after four months.
Arguing on behalf of Jagan, his lawyer Sushil Kumar said since the investigations were completed, he may be granted bail.
Jagan said in his bail petition that in view of the ongoing agitation in Seemandhra over the bifurcation of Andhra Pradesh, there was a need for him, as leader of a political party, to be with the people and lead the stir.
Jagan was arrested by the CBI May last year, and has been lodged in Chanchalguda Central Jail here.
His bail petitions were dismissed on various occasions by the trial court, the high court and the Supreme Court.
While rejecting his bail plea on May 9, the Supreme Court had directed the CBI to complete the investigations and file charge sheets within four months.
The CBI has filed 10 charge sheets in the case in connection with certain quid pro quo investments. Jagan has been charged with entering into criminal conspiracy with his father and then chief minister YS Rajasekhara Reddy to favour companies and individuals who invested in his business.
In one of the two charge sheets filed Tuesday, the CBI named major industries minister J. Geeta Reddy as an accused.
Two ministers had quit in May this year after they were named in the charge sheet. The investigating agency had arrested another minister May last year.
Several bureaucrats, industrialists, companies and Jagan`s aides also figure in the charge sheets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced