Osmania student commits suicide for Telangana
Hyderabad: Osmania University here was tense on Saturday as yet another student committed suicide in the campus, demanding the formation of separate Telangana state.
The charred body of Ishan Reddy, an engineering student, was found near the university library. In his hand-written suicide note found near the body, the student said he was fulfilling his "wish" as all 12 legislators, who had resigned for the cause of Telangana, were re-elected.
"I wished before Maisamma (deity) that I will sacrifice my life if D Srinivas and other Congress candidates are defeated in the elections and now that they are defeated I am fulfilling my wish," he said.
Andhra Pradesh state Congress chief D Srinivas and other Congress candidates were defeated in the by-elections in the region.
Ishan congratulated the people of Telangana and Telangana Rashtra Samiti (TRS) chief K Chandrasekhara Rao for ensuring the re-election of 12 legislators.
Ishan, who hailed from Medak district, also wanted that Congress and TDP leaders like D Srinivas, Jana Reddy, Damodar Reddy, Sridhar Babu, K Venkat Reddy, Kadiam Srihari, E. Dayakar Rao and N Janardhan Reddy be declared "traitors" of Telangana and hanged publicly.
Tension prevailed on the campus as the students were resisting police attempts to shift the body to the mortuary. Ishan Reddy, in his suicide note, expressed his wish that autopsy should not be conducted on his body. He also wanted his body to be taken in a procession from the university to Telangana martyrs` memorial near the assembly.
Ishan Reddy completed his B Tech from St. Ann`s Institute of Technology and was undergoing coaching for GRE TOEFL exams.
He is the fourth student to commit suicide on the Osmania University campus this year. In March, Sai Kumar, a second year B Tech student of Osmania University, had ended his life by hanging in his hostel room as he was upset over the delay in formation of a separate state.
On Feb 20, a Class 12 student had immolated himself at the main entrance of Osmania University in full public view during a protest by university students.
In January, a MCA student had self-immolated on the campus.
Parties fighting for a separate Telangana claim that over 300 students and youth have committed suicide in the region since protests began in November last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks