Osmania students appeal to boycott New Year celebrations
Hyderabad: Students of Osmania Univeristy
here on Tuesday asked people to boycott new year celebrations in
support of the Telangana statehood demand.
"We urge people to boycott new year celebrations to
press the government to take immediate steps for the formation
of Telangana state," the student leaders said.
They asserted that they will go ahead with the
proposed massive students` convention on January 3 even as
the city Police Commissioner B Prasada Rao said permission has
not been given to the meeting.
The student leaders, who vowed to gather four or five
lakh students for the convention, said at least one youth from
every family in Telangana should attend the meet.
The leaders had yesterday said police permission is
not required for the convention, named `Telangana Vidyarthi
Maha Garjana` (massive roar by Telangana students).
"We need not obtain permission from the police. We
need permission from our Vice Chancellor. He will definitely
give the permission," they had said.
Meanwhile, tension prevailed in the Varsity campus
today when police stopped a demonstration by the students.
"We wanted to convey to the police officials that
illegal arrests are not fair. But we are stopped," a student
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you