Osmania students demand postponement of exam
Hyderabad: Widespread protests were witnessed
across Telangana region of Andhra Pradesh today as students
boycotted classes in various colleges and universities and
took to the streets demanding that the State government
postpone the State Public Service Commission preliminary
examination scheduled for tomorrow.
Students under the banner of Osmania University Students
Joint Action Committee (OUJAC) met State Home Minister P
Sabita Indra Reddy and appealed to her to prevail upon the
government to postpone the Group-I exams, demanding their
share of 42 per cent reservation.
Tension prevailed at the Osmania University campus here
as a group of students climbed the Arts College building and
threatened to jump if the government did not immediately
concede to their demand.
OU Vice-Chancellor T Tirupati Rao reached the spot to
pacify the agitated students and make them call off their
Protests were also witnessed at Acharya N G Ranga
Agricultural University here and Kakatiya University at
Reports from Andhra and Rayalaseema regions of the state
suggested that students boycotted classes and forced shutdown
of educational institutions as a counter to the agitation by
students from Telangana.
Candidates from Andhra and Rayalaseema regions want
Group-I services preliminary exams be conducted as per
Meanwhile, Andhra Pradesh Public Service Commission
(APPSC) Chairman Venkatarami Reddy announced that there will
be no change in the examination schedule as all necessary
arrangements have been put in place.
Of the 1.90 lakh candidates who applied for the
examination, 1.30 lakh have already downloaded their hall
tickets from the APPSC website, he said.
Police has clamped prohibitory orders under Section 144
of CrPC and Section 30 of Police Act around all the 445
examination centres across the state to ensure smooth and
peaceful conduct of the examination.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested