Osmania Univ tense as students clash with police
Hyderabad: Tension prevailed on the Osmania University (OU) campus here today when pro-Telangana students pelted stones at police as they were prevented from taking out a rally to the Secretariat.
The police responded by lobbing teargas shells to disperse the agitators who continued to hurl stones at brief intervals, before fleeing in the varsity, officials said.
Scores of pro-Telangana students converged at the Arts College premises on the campus and tried to take out the rally as part of `Chalo Secretariat` call given by OU-JAC (Joint Action Committee) and Telangana Students JAC, demanding formation of a separate Telangana state.
However, police foiled their attempts as the protesters were stopped near the NCC gate.
Angered over this, the protesters raised slogans, argued with police personnel and started pelting stones on them. Police retaliated by firing teargas shells.
A cameraman of a local TV channel sustained head injuries in the incident.
A senior police officer said they were advising and counselling the students to carry out their protest in the university premises itself and not venture out, as there was no permission for the procession.
However, the protesting students insisted that they be allowed to take out the rally and said they also planned to offer tributes to freedom fighter Konda Laxman Bapuji by visiting `Jaladrusyam`, where he was cremated last week.
Meanwhile, security has been stepped up in different parts of the city with deployment of additional forces, including central para-military forces, in view of the proposed `Telangana March` here on September 30, as police anticipates violence.
Rapid Action Force (RAF) personnel have also been kept on standby around the OU campus, officials added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi