Osmania University campus tense as students clash with cops
Hyderabad: Tension prevailed on the Osmania University campus here on Monday after students clashed with policemen who lobbed teargas shells on protesters indulging in stone pelting.
Trouble started after scores of students under the aegis of Telangana Vidhyarthi Parishad tried to take out a procession from the university campus to the state assembly, demanding that the state government declare September 17 as `Telangana Liberation Day`.
It was on this day in 1948, when the then Hyderabad state of the Nizam was merged with the Indian Union.
Despite repeatedly being told that there was no permission for their rally, protesters argued with police and hurled stones at them near the university campus, a police official said.
"Students resorted to heavy stone pelting on police personnel after they were prevented from taking out a rally towards the Assembly," Deputy Commissioner of Police (East Zone) Y Gangadhar said.
Meanwhile, the day was celebrated at the offices of ruling Congress, main opposition TDP, BJP, TRS and others.
Observing that the day is celebrated officially in those parts of Karnataka and Maharashtra which were part of the then Hyderabad state, the BJP has been demanding that the celebration be done officially by the Andhra Pradesh government.
BJP leaders took out a rally from Babu Jagjivan Ram statue at Basheerbagh to the Sardar Vallabhai Patel statue near the assembly.
Legislators of BJP, TRS, CPI and others paid homage to the martyrs at Gun Park in front of the state assembly building.
State Congress president Botsa Satyanarayana unfurled the national flag in the party headquarters here, which was attended by several state ministers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster