Osmania University campus tense as students clash with cops
Hyderabad: Tension prevailed on the Osmania University campus here on Monday after students clashed with policemen who lobbed teargas shells on protesters indulging in stone pelting.
Trouble started after scores of students under the aegis of Telangana Vidhyarthi Parishad tried to take out a procession from the university campus to the state assembly, demanding that the state government declare September 17 as `Telangana Liberation Day`.
It was on this day in 1948, when the then Hyderabad state of the Nizam was merged with the Indian Union.
Despite repeatedly being told that there was no permission for their rally, protesters argued with police and hurled stones at them near the university campus, a police official said.
"Students resorted to heavy stone pelting on police personnel after they were prevented from taking out a rally towards the Assembly," Deputy Commissioner of Police (East Zone) Y Gangadhar said.
Meanwhile, the day was celebrated at the offices of ruling Congress, main opposition TDP, BJP, TRS and others.
Observing that the day is celebrated officially in those parts of Karnataka and Maharashtra which were part of the then Hyderabad state, the BJP has been demanding that the celebration be done officially by the Andhra Pradesh government.
BJP leaders took out a rally from Babu Jagjivan Ram statue at Basheerbagh to the Sardar Vallabhai Patel statue near the assembly.
Legislators of BJP, TRS, CPI and others paid homage to the martyrs at Gun Park in front of the state assembly building.
State Congress president Botsa Satyanarayana unfurled the national flag in the party headquarters here, which was attended by several state ministers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery