OU students boycott semester exams over Telangana issue
Hyderabad: A large number of students of Osmania University boycotted their Post-Graduate semester examinations which began today, demanding that the government should introduce a bill in the Parliament for creation of Telangana state.
In the morning session, over 82 per cent of the students boycotted the third semester exams conducted for MA, MSc and MCom courses. In the afternoon session, only 32 per cent of the students of MCA third-year appeared for their first semester exams. Similarly, Post Graduate Law exams recorded a 42 per cent attendance, a university official said.
OU Students Joint Action Committee had called for the boycott. Pro-Telangana students took out rallies on varsity campus and at different constituent colleges and affiliated colleges in Hyderabad and other districts.
Some students tore up question papers/answer sheets and hall tickets near the OU Arts college.
"Those who boycotted the exams also stopped other students from entering the exam hall," the official said.
However, the exams would continue as per the schedule in the larger academic interests, the official said.
The state government had earlier ruled out postponing semester exams, which will continue till February 7.
Anticipating trouble, police had clamped prohibitory orders around exams centres in the city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof