Over 100 injured in clash over private power plant in Kakinada
Kakinada: Over 100 people were injured when villagers opposing a proposed power plant at Bikkavolu in East Godavari district of Andhra Pradesh clashed with police during the public hearing near here today, police said.
People from at least 12 villages in the vicinity are opposing the proposed 100-MW captive power plant of KPR Fertilisers at Bikkavolu, apprehending pollution and damage to crops.
The clash started when a team of district officials, led by Collector Neethu Kumary, tried to initiate the hearing on the contentious issue near Donthamuru village.
Angry villagers pelted police with stones who retaliated with lathicharge and chased protesters from the venue. "Many suffered bleeding injuries and a few fell unconscious in the melee", a police officer said.
The collector and other officials were whisked to safety by police as the mob tried to attack them, police said adding the public hearing was suspended in the wake of the violence.
People of Donthamuru, Bhavaram and thirty other villages in vicinity had gathered in large numbers since early morning, holding placards in protest of the setting up of the plant, police said.
Sensing trouble, the district administration also deployed heavy police security to avoid any untoward incident.
"Despite conciliatory efforts of the collector and top police officials, the mob went berserk and obstructed the public hearing", a district official said.
At least three media persons were also injured in the stone pelting and their OB vans damaged.
According to police, eighty people were arrested in connection with the violence and the situation is under control.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla