Over two lakh take part in `Garudaseva`
Tirupati: Over two lakh devotees from all over the country witnessed the `Garudaseva` procession of Lord Venkateswara on the fifth day of the annual Brahmotsavam at nearby Tirumala on Saturday night.
As part of sacred spectacle, the idol of Lord Venkateswara, adorned with diamond ornaments, mounted on a tastefully decorated golden `Garuda Vahanam` (carrier) was taken out in a grand procession, temple sources said.
The vast open space in front of the shrine and also the open-top galleries on either side of the streets encircling the over 2000-year-old shrine were jampacked with devotees, particularly from Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra, Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh, they said.
Over one lakh devotees had reached the hills on foot travelling through the 11 km long stairway leading to the shrine from Alipiri point, the foot of the hills during the last 24 hours, the sources said.
A thick security blanket was put in place on the hills for the most auspicious event of the nine day festivals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state