Owaisi in jail: Old Hyderabad tense after protest
Hyderabad: Tension prevailed in the Old City of Hyderabad Friday after violent protests by a group of people protesting against MIM leader Akbaruddin Owaisi`s arrest for alleged hate speech.
Police used batons and tear gas to disperse hundreds of youths coming out of the historic Mecca Masjid after Friday prayers as they resorted to stoning and tried to advance towards Charminar.
Youngsters raised slogans and some held pictures of Akbaruddin Owaisi, the Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen who was arrested Tuesday and is currently jailed in Adilabad, some 300 km from here.
Police said some people pelted stones from inside the mosque on policemen and journalists. They also tried to take out a procession but were pushed back by police.
The protestors dispersed into the localities surrounding Charminar and stoned shops and vehicles.
Markets around the historic monument were shut down while the usually busy streets were deserted
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you