Owaisi in jail: Old Hyderabad tense after protest
Hyderabad: Tension prevailed in the Old City of Hyderabad Friday after violent protests by a group of people protesting against MIM leader Akbaruddin Owaisi`s arrest for alleged hate speech.
Police used batons and tear gas to disperse hundreds of youths coming out of the historic Mecca Masjid after Friday prayers as they resorted to stoning and tried to advance towards Charminar.
Youngsters raised slogans and some held pictures of Akbaruddin Owaisi, the Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen who was arrested Tuesday and is currently jailed in Adilabad, some 300 km from here.
Police said some people pelted stones from inside the mosque on policemen and journalists. They also tried to take out a procession but were pushed back by police.
The protestors dispersed into the localities surrounding Charminar and stoned shops and vehicles.
Markets around the historic monument were shut down while the usually busy streets were deserted
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre