Panchayat polls: DGP holds deliberations over force deployment
Hyderabad: Ahead of the third and final phase of gram panchayat elections in Andhra Pradesh tomorow, the State Director General of Police V Dinesh Reddy on Tuesday held high-level meeting with police officials over deployment of paramilitary forces.
The DGP held video-conference with Superintendents of Police, DIGs and IGs at the police headquarters here in connection with the panchayat polls and asked them to maintain vigil to meet any situation, according to an official release.
In view of violence during the second phase of elections at Darsi in Prakasam district and Pandillapalli of Khammam district, the AP police chief discussed deployment of paramilitary forces to prevent such incidents.
Violence broke out in Darsi town even as police fired teargas shells at an irate mob on Sunday which pelted stones at them after a woman candidate for a sarpanch post allegedly committed suicide after losing polls.
The kin of the deceased candidate Venkata Ratnam and TDP activists accused a Circle Inspector of abusing her regarding recounting of votes and abetting her to commit suicide, a charge police has already denied.
A CPI-M activist A Srinivasa Rao was found murdered allegedly by political rivals in Pandillapalli on Sunday that triggered widespread protests by the CPI-M cadres.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India