Paramilitary forces to be deployed for AP bypolls
Rajahmundry (AP): Over 17,000 personnel of Paramilitary forces would be deployed alongside the local police to ensure peaceful by-elections in Andhra Pradesh on June 12, state DGP V Dinesh Reddy said.
As many as 171 companies of paramilitary forces from Andhra Pradesh, 15 companies each from Maharashtra, Karnataka and Tamil Nadu, would be deployed for the by-polls, in addition to local police, Reddy told reporters here yesterday.
The elections are scheduled for one Lok Sabha and 18 Assembly seats.
The main roads leading to constituencies and the districts concerned have been sealed to check the flow of money and liquor, he said.
Besides, amounts of Rs 3 crore in West Godavari, Rs 2 crore in Guntur and Rs 1.50 crore in East Godavari district have so far been seized during checking.
In the run up to the polls, all the constituencies would be supervised by district superintendent of police for ensuring fair elections and campaigning would not be allowed after 5pm on June 10, he said.
On the day of polls, special striking forces would be deployed to meet any eventuality. A round-the-clock election control room would function to monitor the poll process and video monitoring would also be arranged, he said.
The state police was ready to meet any eventuality in conducting the by-elections fairly and peacefully and to attend any immediate requirement in elections, he said.
Reddy later reviewed arrangements for the purpose in Guntur, East Godavari and West Godavari districts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information