Paramilitary forces to be deployed for AP bypolls
Rajahmundry (AP): Over 17,000 personnel of Paramilitary forces would be deployed alongside the local police to ensure peaceful by-elections in Andhra Pradesh on June 12, state DGP V Dinesh Reddy said.
As many as 171 companies of paramilitary forces from Andhra Pradesh, 15 companies each from Maharashtra, Karnataka and Tamil Nadu, would be deployed for the by-polls, in addition to local police, Reddy told reporters here yesterday.
The elections are scheduled for one Lok Sabha and 18 Assembly seats.
The main roads leading to constituencies and the districts concerned have been sealed to check the flow of money and liquor, he said.
Besides, amounts of Rs 3 crore in West Godavari, Rs 2 crore in Guntur and Rs 1.50 crore in East Godavari district have so far been seized during checking.
In the run up to the polls, all the constituencies would be supervised by district superintendent of police for ensuring fair elections and campaigning would not be allowed after 5pm on June 10, he said.
On the day of polls, special striking forces would be deployed to meet any eventuality. A round-the-clock election control room would function to monitor the poll process and video monitoring would also be arranged, he said.
The state police was ready to meet any eventuality in conducting the by-elections fairly and peacefully and to attend any immediate requirement in elections, he said.
Reddy later reviewed arrangements for the purpose in Guntur, East Godavari and West Godavari districts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part II
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part III
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter - Part II
- Sad but true! Women in India earn 19% less than men, says report
- Jayalalithaa thanks Stalin for attending her swearing-in ceremony, says 'no intent to disrespect him or DMK'
- Snapdeal CPO Anand Chandrasekaran quits
- IT department to 'name and shame' crorepati defaulters this fiscal
- Father and son cut open a wasp's nest – Watch video to find out what's inside!