Partial bandh in Guntur against arrest of TDP MLA murder
Guntur (AP): Piduguralla and Gurazala towns in Guntur district, observed a partial shutdown on Wednesday in protest against the arrest of Telugu Desam Party (TDP) MLA Yerapatineni Srinivas Rao in connection murder of Congress leader U Narendra on November 27, 2012.
After a manhunt, the police arrested TDP MLA Srinivas Rao in Hyderabad last night and brought him to Piduguralla police station late last night.
Srinivas Rao had made himself scarce after his anticipatory bail application was dismissed by the additional sessions court at Narasaraopet on December 31, 2012, after which the police launched a manhunt to nab him.
Rao, who was produced before a judicial magistrate and remanded to custody for 14 days, was transferred to the district jail at Guntur today.
Tension prevailed as a large number of TDP workers collected at the prison and shouted slogans against the Congress government and prevented the police from whisking away the TDP MLA into prison. Angry TDP workers also staged a dharna at a few places in Guntur city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok