Partial response in AP to bandh against FDI in ret
Hyderabad: The nation-wide bandh called by
traders in protest against the Centre`s decision to allow
foreign direct investment (FDI) in retail sector evoked
partial response in Andhra Pradesh on Thursday.
While shops remained open in most parts of the city,
the traders in Begum Bazar, a famous traditional market for
retail shops, observed the shutdown and held a dharna.
"The government`s decision would badly affect the
livelihood of lakhs of traders and those dependent on them.
There are about five lakh traders in Hyderabad alone. The
government says the decision would help farmers and consumers
which is not true," Ghanshyam Bhati, leader of the Hyderabad
Kirana Merchants Association, said.
The BJP extended support to the traders in their
protest against the Centre`s move.
CPI State Secretary K Narayana participated in a
programme at Narayanaguda here where an effigy of the Union
Government was burnt.
In Visakhapatnam, traders observed bandh at Purna
Market and other places.
Reports from other places in the state said the
traders organised dharna and other forms of protest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’