Parties hit hustings for AP by-polls
Hyderabad: The campaigning for crucial March 18 by-polls for seven Assembly constituencies in Andhra Pradesh gained momentum with TDP chief N Chandrababu Naidu hitting the hustings on Suday.
Naidu kicked off his campaign from Kovur assembly segment in Nellore district of the coastal Andhra where the by-poll is necessitated by the resignation of sitting TDP MLA N Prasanna Kumar Reddy in support of Kadapa MP Y S Jagan Mohan Reddy.
The TDP chief alleged the ruling Congress government has compounded the woes of the common people with flawed policies.
"The (social security) pensions here is only Rs 200, whereas it is Rs 500 in Tamil Nadu. In Tamil Nadu (which borders with Nellore district), people are given grinders, mixers and even golden `mangalsutras`.
They are implementing so many welfare programmes. There is water problem among other issues here. The government has burdened people by increasing
taxes," Naidu said at a public meeting. Congress is also in the fray in Kovur by-poll.
While Kovur is the sole assembly segment that falls in non-Telangana regions, rest six seats are in Telangana which has witnessed intense turmoil over the separate statehood demand.
Former minister and senior Congress leader Mohammad Ali Shabbir campaigned for his party`s nominee in Kamareddy seat. "They (TRS) have not done anything for those who sacrificed their life for separate Telangana but amassed huge wealth for themselves," Shabbir alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IPL 2016: Andre Russell's injury badly hurt Kolkata Knight Riders' chances of winning third title
- Revealed! Samsung to launch Galaxy C5, Galaxy C7 today; pics leaked ahead of launch
- Gujarat Patel quota agitation leader Hardik Patel to be produced in court for insulting tricolour
- Market extends gains: Sensex zooms over 500 points; Nifty recaptures 8,000-mark
- Sonam Kapoor with Shah Rukh Khan in a film? Here's what the diva has to say!