Party leaders meet President over AP bifurcation issue
Hyderabad: Leaders of various parties from either side of the political divide met President Pranab Mukherjee at the Raj Bhavan here tonight and put forth their arguments for and against the proposed bifurcation of the state.
The Seemandhra leaders reportedly complained to the President how the Centre was seeking to divide the state by subverting the Constitution and also the democratic norms.
Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy had a separate meeting with the President at the Raj Bhavan where he made a strong pitch against the bifurcation of the state, sources said.
He recalled his recent letter to the President in which he accused the Centre of "trivialising" the state bifurcation process by taking "shortcut" routes, without any "homework".
The Seemandhra leaders of Telugu Desam Party appealed to the President to keep the state united if the Centre could not render equal justice to all regions in the bifurcation process.
The YSR Congress wanted withdrawal of the Union Cabinet`s decision to "divide the first linguistic state without any basis."
Congress leaders from Telangana, too, called on the President and presented their version on the bifurcation.
"We have requested the President to let the state be united if the Centre could not do equal justice to all regions in the bifurcation process. We also complained to him about the unilateral manner in which the Centre was going ahead with the division process," TDP senior MLA Payyavula Keshav told reporters after the meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’