People from areas near Godavari to be evacuated
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh government will evacuate people from low-lying areas abutting Godavari as the river is in spate because of incessant rains in the last few days.
Water level in Godavari touched 51.4 ft at Bhadrachalam in Khammam district this afternoon following which authorities issued a third warning signal.
State Chief Secretary P K Mohanty, who reviewed the situation with senior officials concerned this morning, said two teams of National Disaster Response Force personnel comprising 18 members each have been sent to Khammam district to tackle any eventuality.
Collectors of Adilabad, Karimnagar, Nizamabad, Khammam and East Godavari districts have been put on high alert as there is a possibility of flood with river Godavari in spate.
Mohanty directed the collectors to monitor the situation closely and take steps for immediate rescue and relief measures wherever required.
Relief camps should be opened for people likely to be shifted from low-lying areas along the Godavari.
Disaster Management Commissioner (in-charge) B R Meena is in constant touch with the district collectors and providing necessary support.
The Chief Secretary spoke to the Armed Forces to enlist their help in case of any emergency.
Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy also reviewed the situation with Mohanty.
He suggested that sufficient food grains, medicines and other essential items be kept ready to meet any eventuality, a statement from the Information and Public Relations Department said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH