Petition against my promotion not maintainable: Andhra DGP
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh Director General of
Police K Aravinda Rao on Wednesday filed a counter affidavit before
the Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) here contending that
the plea of Principal Home Secretary P Gautam Kumar against
his promotion as DGP was not maintainable.
Kumar had challenged the appointment of Rao as the head
of the state police before the Tribunal in September, saying
it was done in violation of IPS cadre rules.
Kumar claimed that the state government overlooked his
seniority while promoting Rao and six other officers of 1977
batch of IPS (in May this year), which he termed as an
The CAT, after admitting the petition of Kumar had asked
the respondents including the State and the Central
governments to file their counters before it.
In his reply, Rao submitted, "The applicant (Gautam
Kumar) having also been a beneficiary of being promoted to the
rank of DGP cannot challenge the policy or system in relation
to any other member of the service."
Referring to Kumar`s contention that he was better suited
for the post of DGP, Rao submitted, "In any event, this is a
matter which would depend upon the executive and their
appreciation and evaluation of the service record of the
respective officers," and sought for dismissing Kumar`s plea.
Other respondents in the case, the Andhra Pradesh
government and state Director General (Vigilance and
Enforcement Department) V Dinesh Reddy also filed their
counter affidavits before the CAT.
The CAT bench then posted the matter to November 16.
Kumar belongs to the 1975 batch of IPS, while Rao is of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why