Plastic to be totally banned in Tirupati
Hyderabad: The use of plastics in Tirumala,
the abode of Lord Venkateswara in Andhra Pradesh, will be
totally banned within a month.
Even the `laddu prasadams`, now being supplied in plastic
bags, will be distributed wrapped in bags made of cloth, paper
or jute, a release from the Chief Minister`s office said here.
Chief Minister K Rosaiah today directed the Tirumala
Tirupati Devasthanam (TTD), which manages the popular shrine,
to strictly adhere to these norms.
He reviewed the activities of Andhra Pradesh Pollution
Control Board (APPCB) with Minister for Forest and Environment
P Ramachandra Reddy and top officials at a meeting in
Secretariat, the release said.
The officials told the CM that all TTD canteens have
stopped usage of plastic tea cups and water glasses.
It was also decided to ban plastics below 40 micron
thickness all over the state within a month to prevent
pollution. At present, plastics of more than 20 microns
thickness are being used in Andhra Pradesh, the release said.
Rosaiah was informed that the World Bank has approved
a project for industrial pollution management in the state,
the release said.
The components of the Rs 193.46-crore project include
strengthening of environmental institutions and investment in
anti-industrial pollution measures, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- India's ceasefire violations threat to regional peace and security: Nawaz Sharif
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?