Polavaram project: BJP asks Cong, TRS not to fan sentiments
Visakhapatnam: Andhra Pradesh unit BJP president K Hari Babu on Sunday asked leaders of TRS and Congress to refrain from making provocative statements over the passage of the Andhra Pradesh Reorganisation (Amendment) Bill in Lok Sabha.
The passage of the bill in the Lower House recently has paved the way to aid the construction of the ambitious Polavaram project.
Addressing a press conference here, Hari Babu said that the project was very much important for Andhra Pradesh as it will bring more land under irrigation.
Taking a dig at Congress over the passage of the bill, Haribabu said that the ordinance to club seven mandals from Khammam district of Telangana had in fact been brought by the erstwhile Manmohan Singh government.
"It is wrong on the part of senior Congress leader from Telangana, S Jaipal Reddy to oppose clubbing of seven mandals (under the bill) because as a minister he did not oppose the ordinance which was passed by the Cabinet," he said, adding that Polavaram project will not only benefit Andhra Pradesh but also Telangana, Chhattisgarh and Odisha.
The BJP leader termed as "unfair" the opposition to the bill by TRS on the ground of its constitutional validity.
"It`s unfair on the part of TRS leaders to say that passing of the AP Reorganisation (Amendment) Bill under Article 3 was unconstitutional as Telangana state has been formed under the same article," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!