Polavaram project will immensely benefit AP: CM
Khammam (AP): The proposed Polavaram irrigation project on Godavari river in coastal Andhra Pradesh would immensely benefit the state as it would save water currently going into the sea, Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy said on Friday.
Strongly defending the project, which is opposed by Telangana supporters on the ground that it would adversely affect the region, Reddy said the project would help not just coastal districts but other regions as well.
Referring to objections raised by Odisha and Chhattisgarh, Reddy said the government was holding talks with the two neighbouring states to make them agree to the multi-purpose project.
He also asserted that the design of the project would not be changed as demanded by TRS and others as over Rs 4,000 crore have already been spent on it.
The government was keen on giving the best relief and rehabilitation package to the affected people, he said.
Conceived in the pre-Independence era, the Polavaram project is said to have the potential to bring over four lakh hectares of land under cultivation and generate 1,000 MW of hydel power.
Reddy was speaking to reporters on the last day of his three-day `Indiramma Bata` (on the path of Indiramma) mass contact programme in Khammam district.
Noting that the government was spending about Rs 2,600 crore on various welfare schemes, he said the programme was aimed at ascertaining whether the benefits effectively reached the targeted sections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery