Polavaram project will immensely benefit AP: CM
Khammam (AP): The proposed Polavaram irrigation project on Godavari river in coastal Andhra Pradesh would immensely benefit the state as it would save water currently going into the sea, Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy said on Friday.
Strongly defending the project, which is opposed by Telangana supporters on the ground that it would adversely affect the region, Reddy said the project would help not just coastal districts but other regions as well.
Referring to objections raised by Odisha and Chhattisgarh, Reddy said the government was holding talks with the two neighbouring states to make them agree to the multi-purpose project.
He also asserted that the design of the project would not be changed as demanded by TRS and others as over Rs 4,000 crore have already been spent on it.
The government was keen on giving the best relief and rehabilitation package to the affected people, he said.
Conceived in the pre-Independence era, the Polavaram project is said to have the potential to bring over four lakh hectares of land under cultivation and generate 1,000 MW of hydel power.
Reddy was speaking to reporters on the last day of his three-day `Indiramma Bata` (on the path of Indiramma) mass contact programme in Khammam district.
Noting that the government was spending about Rs 2,600 crore on various welfare schemes, he said the programme was aimed at ascertaining whether the benefits effectively reached the targeted sections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown