Polavaram project will immensely benefit AP: CM
Khammam (AP): The proposed Polavaram irrigation project on Godavari river in coastal Andhra Pradesh would immensely benefit the state as it would save water currently going into the sea, Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy said on Friday.
Strongly defending the project, which is opposed by Telangana supporters on the ground that it would adversely affect the region, Reddy said the project would help not just coastal districts but other regions as well.
Referring to objections raised by Odisha and Chhattisgarh, Reddy said the government was holding talks with the two neighbouring states to make them agree to the multi-purpose project.
He also asserted that the design of the project would not be changed as demanded by TRS and others as over Rs 4,000 crore have already been spent on it.
The government was keen on giving the best relief and rehabilitation package to the affected people, he said.
Conceived in the pre-Independence era, the Polavaram project is said to have the potential to bring over four lakh hectares of land under cultivation and generate 1,000 MW of hydel power.
Reddy was speaking to reporters on the last day of his three-day `Indiramma Bata` (on the path of Indiramma) mass contact programme in Khammam district.
Noting that the government was spending about Rs 2,600 crore on various welfare schemes, he said the programme was aimed at ascertaining whether the benefits effectively reached the targeted sections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing