Polavaram project will immensely benefit AP: CM
Khammam (AP): The proposed Polavaram irrigation project on Godavari river in coastal Andhra Pradesh would immensely benefit the state as it would save water currently going into the sea, Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy said on Friday.
Strongly defending the project, which is opposed by Telangana supporters on the ground that it would adversely affect the region, Reddy said the project would help not just coastal districts but other regions as well.
Referring to objections raised by Odisha and Chhattisgarh, Reddy said the government was holding talks with the two neighbouring states to make them agree to the multi-purpose project.
He also asserted that the design of the project would not be changed as demanded by TRS and others as over Rs 4,000 crore have already been spent on it.
The government was keen on giving the best relief and rehabilitation package to the affected people, he said.
Conceived in the pre-Independence era, the Polavaram project is said to have the potential to bring over four lakh hectares of land under cultivation and generate 1,000 MW of hydel power.
Reddy was speaking to reporters on the last day of his three-day `Indiramma Bata` (on the path of Indiramma) mass contact programme in Khammam district.
Noting that the government was spending about Rs 2,600 crore on various welfare schemes, he said the programme was aimed at ascertaining whether the benefits effectively reached the targeted sections.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India