Police constable killed in face-off with fake currency gang
Hyderabad: A constable was killed and a sub-inspector injured after members of a fake currency circulation gang allegedly attacked them with sharp weapons even as one of the gang members died after police fired in retaliation in Shameerpet mandal of neighbouring Ranga Reddy district.
The incident occurred Friday night when a eight-member police team of Balanagar police station comprising sub-inspector Venkat Reddy and others reached Majidpur crossroads area based on information that a gang indulged in circulation of fake currency notes, Telangana Home Minister Nayani Narasimha Reddy said on Saturday after visiting the scene.
As the police team attempted to catch the gang members passing in a vehicle, they suddenly came under attack with swords and knives, and in the process one constable Eshwar Rao and SI Venkat Reddy sustained serious injuries, the minister said.
The constable succumbed to his injuries on way to being shifted to hospital while the SI, who suffered stab injuries in the incident has been rushed to a private hospital in Secunderabad.
Following the attack, the police team fired in self-defence on the gang members in which one Mustafa died even as others managed to flee, Reddy said.
The minister further said that the government will extend all financial assistance to the family members of the deceased constable and one of the family members will also be provided government employment.
"Stern action will be initiated against the accused involved in the attack on policemen," he said.
Eshwar Rao hails from Srikakulam district of Andhra Pradesh.
Cyberabad Police Commissioner CV Anand, who too visited the spot, told reporters "as per information available with us, one Yellam Goud of Siddipet town in Medak district, was heading the gang which indulged in fake currency circulation."
Goud, who was involved in robbery and dacoity offences had come out of jail around two months ago and formed this gang, the Cybderabad Police chief said.
Four special teams have been formed to nab the absconding gang members, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- LIVE Cricket Score, IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Chasing 286-run target, India lose Rahane and Rohit early
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: Mulayam sacks Ram Gopal Yadav from party for six years; Shivpal says he is corrupt, involved with BJP