Police constable killed in face-off with fake currency gang
Hyderabad: A constable was killed and a sub-inspector injured after members of a fake currency circulation gang allegedly attacked them with sharp weapons even as one of the gang members died after police fired in retaliation in Shameerpet mandal of neighbouring Ranga Reddy district.
The incident occurred Friday night when a eight-member police team of Balanagar police station comprising sub-inspector Venkat Reddy and others reached Majidpur crossroads area based on information that a gang indulged in circulation of fake currency notes, Telangana Home Minister Nayani Narasimha Reddy said on Saturday after visiting the scene.
As the police team attempted to catch the gang members passing in a vehicle, they suddenly came under attack with swords and knives, and in the process one constable Eshwar Rao and SI Venkat Reddy sustained serious injuries, the minister said.
The constable succumbed to his injuries on way to being shifted to hospital while the SI, who suffered stab injuries in the incident has been rushed to a private hospital in Secunderabad.
Following the attack, the police team fired in self-defence on the gang members in which one Mustafa died even as others managed to flee, Reddy said.
The minister further said that the government will extend all financial assistance to the family members of the deceased constable and one of the family members will also be provided government employment.
"Stern action will be initiated against the accused involved in the attack on policemen," he said.
Eshwar Rao hails from Srikakulam district of Andhra Pradesh.
Cyberabad Police Commissioner CV Anand, who too visited the spot, told reporters "as per information available with us, one Yellam Goud of Siddipet town in Medak district, was heading the gang which indulged in fake currency circulation."
Goud, who was involved in robbery and dacoity offences had come out of jail around two months ago and formed this gang, the Cybderabad Police chief said.
Four special teams have been formed to nab the absconding gang members, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India