Police end Telangana leader`s hunger strike
Hyderabad: Congress leader Komatireddy Venkat Reddy`s indefinite hunger strike for separate statehood to Telangana was forcibly ended by the police in Nalgonda district of Andhra Pradesh early Sunday.
As the condition of the legislator and former minister deteriorated on the sixth day of the fast, the police lifted him from the hunger strike camp in Nalgonda town and shifted him to a local government hospital. His supporters tried to resist the police attempt but were made to disperse.
The ruling party leader was later brought to Hyderabad and admitted to Nizam`s Institute of Medical Science (NIMS), police said.
Venkat Reddy initially refused to receive the treatment but he was forcibly administered the medicines in the intensive care unit.
Doctors had on Saturday warned that if Venkat Reddy continues his fast for few more hours, he might slip into coma. He is reported to be running fever with lung and kidney infection.
Venkat Reddy had resigned as state minister last month to protest against the delay in carving out Telangana state.
Meanwhile, Telangana Joint Action Committee (JAC) has called for protests across Nalgonda district against the police action in forcibly ending the hunger strike.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!