Police end Telangana leader`s hunger strike
Hyderabad: Congress leader Komatireddy Venkat Reddy`s indefinite hunger strike for separate statehood to Telangana was forcibly ended by the police in Nalgonda district of Andhra Pradesh early Sunday.
As the condition of the legislator and former minister deteriorated on the sixth day of the fast, the police lifted him from the hunger strike camp in Nalgonda town and shifted him to a local government hospital. His supporters tried to resist the police attempt but were made to disperse.
The ruling party leader was later brought to Hyderabad and admitted to Nizam`s Institute of Medical Science (NIMS), police said.
Venkat Reddy initially refused to receive the treatment but he was forcibly administered the medicines in the intensive care unit.
Doctors had on Saturday warned that if Venkat Reddy continues his fast for few more hours, he might slip into coma. He is reported to be running fever with lung and kidney infection.
Venkat Reddy had resigned as state minister last month to protest against the delay in carving out Telangana state.
Meanwhile, Telangana Joint Action Committee (JAC) has called for protests across Nalgonda district against the police action in forcibly ending the hunger strike.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof