Police for directive to bar outsiders into OU
Hyderabad: In the wake of violent protests
that rocked Osmania University during the 48-hour bandh by
Telangana JAC, police on Thursday sought directives from the state
human rights commission to the varsity authorities to ensure
that outsiders are not allowed entry into the campus.
"In view of students indulging in violence and
threatening suicides, the Commission is requested to issue
instructions to the OU authorities not to allow entry to
outsiders in the campus," Hyderabad Police Commissioner A K
Khan said in a report filed on behalf of the state DGP before
the Andhra Pradesh State Human Rights Commission.
Since a mass hunger strike within the campus is planned
for July 11, the police also suggested to the Commission to
send one of its representatives to the campus to help in
preventing possible violence, Khan said.
The Police Commissioner also refuted allegations of the
Joint Action Committee (JAC) of Advocates over the use of
excessive force and firing of rubber bullets at the student
protesters, terming it as baseless.
"Police were discharging their duties to maintain peace
with utmost patience in accordance of law. The allegation that
students in large numbers were injured on July 5 and 6 and
para military forces were deployed inside the campus are
totally false," Khan said and sought dismissal of the
complaint filed by T R V Chary and the JAC of Advocates.
The Police Commissioner instead blamed the pro-Telangana
protesters, who were mostly students, for indulging in heavy
stone pelting at the police and asserted that the security
personnel only lobbed teargas shells to disperse them.
The petitioners had sought a direction from APSHRC for
withdrawal of the police from the University campus.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zakir Naik's 'IRF' converted many to Islam?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- AAP MP Bhagwant Mann writes to LS Speaker, seeks probe against PM Modi for jeopardising national security
- Boyfriend material! Five signs that prove he is the ideal one for you
- WWE Monday Night Raw results (July 25, 2016): Finn Balor earns shot at WWE Universal Title
- Mercedes to have petrol variants across portfolio in India by September
- Opposition alleges use of coercion, threats in RS polls in Jharkhand