Police round up Jagan`s supporters in Kadapa
Kadapa: Supporters of YS Jaganmohan Reddy on Sunday tried to stage road blockade at various places in his native district to protest his arrest while police carried out preventive detentions.
Kadapa District Superintendent of Police Manish Kumar Sinha, who is personally supervising security arrangements, told PTI they had taken around 70 supporters and workers of YSR Congress party into preventive custody after they tried to block roads.
"Security has been beefed up in Kadapa. So far there is no report of any violent incident, However there has been preventive arrests of around 70 activists of YSR Congress and supporters as they tried to stage road blockade at various places in Kadapa district and also as precautionary measure," Sinha said.
YSRCP district convener Suresh Babu was kept under house arrest while Minority Cell convener Amjad Basha was taken into custody when he tried to organise a protest rally at Kotireddy circle in the district head quarters.
Besides women activists of the party were also taken into custody when they tried to organise a candle rally in the town.
Shops and business establishments remained closed while activists of YSRCP were also taken into custody at Kodur, Rajampeta, Proddatur, Badvel, Pulivendula and Vempalli.
All the APSRTC buses were kept in bus depots while patrolling had been intensified in all towns with police setting up check posts.
The 39-year-old Kadapa MP was arrested by the CBI in a disproportionate assets case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- Invoking Ambedkar's legacy, PM Modi says no rethink on quotas as Sena boycotts his events in Mumbai