Police team charged with gang rape of tribal women
Hyderabad: The Andhra Pradesh police have
booked a suo-moto case following allegations of gang rape of
four tribal women by policemen at a village in Visakhapatnam
district, a senior police officer said on Tuesday.
Revenue Divisional Officer, Paderu, and police visited
Bhaluguda village in Visakhapatnam yesterday and met two of
the four women who alleged they were gang raped by a police
team, the officer said.
"None of the villagers came forward to give their
statements on the alleged incident. So, we have booked a suo-
moto case of rape against the members of the police team,"
Visakhapatnam district (Rural) Superintendent of Police Vineet
Brijlal said over phone.
The allegations of gang rape surfaced after a police
team nabbed nine Maoists from Bhaluguda village on January 22,
after which the SP ordered an enquiry into the incident.
Four tribal women, who are relatives of the extremists,
approached a local BSP leader L Rajarao, alleging they were
gang raped by the police party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you