Police team charged with gang rape of tribal women
Hyderabad: The Andhra Pradesh police have
booked a suo-moto case following allegations of gang rape of
four tribal women by policemen at a village in Visakhapatnam
district, a senior police officer said on Tuesday.
Revenue Divisional Officer, Paderu, and police visited
Bhaluguda village in Visakhapatnam yesterday and met two of
the four women who alleged they were gang raped by a police
team, the officer said.
"None of the villagers came forward to give their
statements on the alleged incident. So, we have booked a suo-
moto case of rape against the members of the police team,"
Visakhapatnam district (Rural) Superintendent of Police Vineet
Brijlal said over phone.
The allegations of gang rape surfaced after a police
team nabbed nine Maoists from Bhaluguda village on January 22,
after which the SP ordered an enquiry into the incident.
Four tribal women, who are relatives of the extremists,
approached a local BSP leader L Rajarao, alleging they were
gang raped by the police party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Brahmos missiles deployment in Arunachal: India can do more for peace, rather than contrary, says China
- Iraq forces retake key town south of Mosul
- Pak asks world community to play role to resolve Kashmir issue
- NASA astronaut Jeff Williams goes click-click as US National Park Service celebrates centennial!
- Fire alarm forces AI to divert Mumbai-Newark flight