Polling for nine AP Council seats held
Hyderabad: Over 96 per cent polling was
recorded in the election held today for nine Local Authorities
Constituencies of the Andhra Pradesh Legislative Council.
The Nellore LAC recorded 100 per cent polling, over 99
per cent balloting was reported from Kadapa, West Godavari,
East Godavari, Chittoor and Kurnool LACs, the Chief Electoral
Officer`s office said in a release.
Of the nine seats, the lowest voting, 75.10 per cent,
was recorded in Srikakulam district.
No major untoward incident was reported from anywhere
in the eight districts during the polling, the officials said.
The main contest is among the candidates of ruling
Congress, main Opposition Telugu Desam and the supporters of
former MP Y S Jagan Mohan Reddy.
In Kadapa, the native district of Jagan, Congress
candidate N Varadarajula Reddy is pitted against Narayana
Reddy, who is reportedly backed by the Jagan group.
There have been reports of all the major candidates
organising "camps" with the electors, who are representatives
of local bodies, to ensure votes are cast in their favour.
The total number of voters was 6,785 and the counting
will be taken up on March 23. Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen
candidate Syed Aminul Jafri was elected unopposed from the
The elections to the 10 seats of the Upper House were
necessitated due to expiry of the term of the sitting MLCs.
Quoting police, a report from Kadapa said five persons
were found in possession of some pink colour papers which
looked like ballot papers. Three police cases have been
registered by police in connection with the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price