Portion of Charminar minaret falls off after heavy rains
Hyderabad: Charminar, the iconic
400-year-old monument, became a casualty in the heavy rains
that lashed this city when a small portion of one of its four
minarets fell off from the historic structure.
The incident in the old city area here occurred at
around 2230 hrs last night, a senior Archaeological Survey of
India(ASI) official said today.
The debris of the crumbled ornamental portion of the
minaret that scaled off fell on a nearby temple abutting the
massive structure. The portion weighed about 2 to 3 kgs.
ASI superintendent Veerbahdra Rao, who inspected the
damage portion today, said there was no danger to the
structural stability of Charminar--Mosque of the Four
"Structurally, the monument is very stable. There is no
need to worry about the stability of the monument.
The damage on the minaret can be repaired. It will take
at least one week to make the necessary repairs. After the
rains subsides we will take up the work," he said.
It is not the first time that the monument has been
affected by natural phenomenon.
It is said that, during the Mughal Governorship between
Qutb Shahi and Asaf Jahi rule, the south western minaret "fell
to pieces" after being struck by lightning, but "was forthwith
repaired" at a cost of Rs 60,000.
Each of the four tall pointed gracefully carved
minarets soar to a height of 48.7 metres above the ground,
commanding the landscape for miles around.
The poor condition of the monument has been begging for
attention for several years.
Sultan Muhammad Quli Qutb Shah, the 5th ruler of the
Qutb Shahi dynasty, built Charminar in 1591 shortly after he
had shifted his capital from Golconda to what is now known as
Hyderabad. He built this famous structure to commemorate the
elimination of a plague epidemic from this city.
This beautiful colossus in granite, lime, mortar and,
some say, pulverised marble, was at one time the heart of the
city. Initially the wonderful monument with its four arches
was so proportionately planned that when the fort was opened
one could catch a glimpse of the bustling Hyderabad city as
these Charminar arches were facing the most active royal
Apart from being the core of the city’s cultural milieu,
it has also become a brand name.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly