Portion of Charminar minaret falls off after heavy rains
Hyderabad: Charminar, the iconic
400-year-old monument, became a casualty in the heavy rains
that lashed this city when a small portion of one of its four
minarets fell off from the historic structure.
The incident in the old city area here occurred at
around 2230 hrs last night, a senior Archaeological Survey of
India(ASI) official said today.
The debris of the crumbled ornamental portion of the
minaret that scaled off fell on a nearby temple abutting the
massive structure. The portion weighed about 2 to 3 kgs.
ASI superintendent Veerbahdra Rao, who inspected the
damage portion today, said there was no danger to the
structural stability of Charminar--Mosque of the Four
"Structurally, the monument is very stable. There is no
need to worry about the stability of the monument.
The damage on the minaret can be repaired. It will take
at least one week to make the necessary repairs. After the
rains subsides we will take up the work," he said.
It is not the first time that the monument has been
affected by natural phenomenon.
It is said that, during the Mughal Governorship between
Qutb Shahi and Asaf Jahi rule, the south western minaret "fell
to pieces" after being struck by lightning, but "was forthwith
repaired" at a cost of Rs 60,000.
Each of the four tall pointed gracefully carved
minarets soar to a height of 48.7 metres above the ground,
commanding the landscape for miles around.
The poor condition of the monument has been begging for
attention for several years.
Sultan Muhammad Quli Qutb Shah, the 5th ruler of the
Qutb Shahi dynasty, built Charminar in 1591 shortly after he
had shifted his capital from Golconda to what is now known as
Hyderabad. He built this famous structure to commemorate the
elimination of a plague epidemic from this city.
This beautiful colossus in granite, lime, mortar and,
some say, pulverised marble, was at one time the heart of the
city. Initially the wonderful monument with its four arches
was so proportionately planned that when the fort was opened
one could catch a glimpse of the bustling Hyderabad city as
these Charminar arches were facing the most active royal
Apart from being the core of the city’s cultural milieu,
it has also become a brand name.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Delhi L-G Najeeb Jung refuses AAP govt’s proposed app-based premium bus service scheme
- Final phase of Q4 results, progress of monsoon to guide market
- Attention tax evaders: From June 1, declare black money and come clean or else....
- Saqib Saleem all praises for Radhika Apte's 'knockout performance' in 'Phobia'!
- Arjun Rampal captures priceless moments from 'Kahaani 2'! – View pics