Power crisis would be overcome soon, assures Reddy
Hyderabad: Noting that there is a 20 percent shortage of power at present in Andhra Pradesh, Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy on Tuesday expressed confidence that the ongoing power crisis would be overcome soon.
Power production has come down by 50 million units due to insufficient rainfall and unavailability of gas, Reddy said here, speaking at a function organised in connection with the `Rajiv Gandhi Akshay Urja Diwas` (Renewable Energy Day).
The government is addressing the issue and giving power subsidy to the tune of Rs 5,000 crore, he said.
Observing that coal and other natural resources are depleting fast, he highlighted the need to save energy and to promote renewable energy sources.
While power production decreased, consumption rose substantially, he said.
The Chief Minister also administered a pledge to a large number of school children, who were present on the occasion, that they will promote renewable energy.
State ministers J Geeta Reddy, B Saraiah, G Prasad Kumar, Mukesh Goud and several other officials also participated in the programme.
Though the Renewable Energy Day is observed on the birth anniversary of late Rajiv Gandhi, the function was organised today as Ramzan festival was also celebrated on August 20.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!