Power crisis would be overcome soon, assures Reddy
Hyderabad: Noting that there is a 20 percent shortage of power at present in Andhra Pradesh, Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy on Tuesday expressed confidence that the ongoing power crisis would be overcome soon.
Power production has come down by 50 million units due to insufficient rainfall and unavailability of gas, Reddy said here, speaking at a function organised in connection with the `Rajiv Gandhi Akshay Urja Diwas` (Renewable Energy Day).
The government is addressing the issue and giving power subsidy to the tune of Rs 5,000 crore, he said.
Observing that coal and other natural resources are depleting fast, he highlighted the need to save energy and to promote renewable energy sources.
While power production decreased, consumption rose substantially, he said.
The Chief Minister also administered a pledge to a large number of school children, who were present on the occasion, that they will promote renewable energy.
State ministers J Geeta Reddy, B Saraiah, G Prasad Kumar, Mukesh Goud and several other officials also participated in the programme.
Though the Renewable Energy Day is observed on the birth anniversary of late Rajiv Gandhi, the function was organised today as Ramzan festival was also celebrated on August 20.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- IIT Kharagpur students design racing car to compete in Russia
- Billboard 200 albums chart: Drake's 'Views' remains on top for 11th time
- Quran sacrilege: Delhi AAP lawmaker Naresh Yadav sent to judicial custody till Aug 1
- Hillary Clinton nominated for president, husband Bill says she will ''never quit''
- Arjun Kapoor to have double role in 'Mubaraka'
- WATCH: TERRIFYING! Ten times Brock Lesnar showed no mercy to his WWE opponents