Power crisis would be overcome soon, assures Reddy
Hyderabad: Noting that there is a 20 percent shortage of power at present in Andhra Pradesh, Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy on Tuesday expressed confidence that the ongoing power crisis would be overcome soon.
Power production has come down by 50 million units due to insufficient rainfall and unavailability of gas, Reddy said here, speaking at a function organised in connection with the `Rajiv Gandhi Akshay Urja Diwas` (Renewable Energy Day).
The government is addressing the issue and giving power subsidy to the tune of Rs 5,000 crore, he said.
Observing that coal and other natural resources are depleting fast, he highlighted the need to save energy and to promote renewable energy sources.
While power production decreased, consumption rose substantially, he said.
The Chief Minister also administered a pledge to a large number of school children, who were present on the occasion, that they will promote renewable energy.
State ministers J Geeta Reddy, B Saraiah, G Prasad Kumar, Mukesh Goud and several other officials also participated in the programme.
Though the Renewable Energy Day is observed on the birth anniversary of late Rajiv Gandhi, the function was organised today as Ramzan festival was also celebrated on August 20.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan