Power crisis would be overcome soon, assures Reddy
Hyderabad: Noting that there is a 20 percent shortage of power at present in Andhra Pradesh, Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy on Tuesday expressed confidence that the ongoing power crisis would be overcome soon.
Power production has come down by 50 million units due to insufficient rainfall and unavailability of gas, Reddy said here, speaking at a function organised in connection with the `Rajiv Gandhi Akshay Urja Diwas` (Renewable Energy Day).
The government is addressing the issue and giving power subsidy to the tune of Rs 5,000 crore, he said.
Observing that coal and other natural resources are depleting fast, he highlighted the need to save energy and to promote renewable energy sources.
While power production decreased, consumption rose substantially, he said.
The Chief Minister also administered a pledge to a large number of school children, who were present on the occasion, that they will promote renewable energy.
State ministers J Geeta Reddy, B Saraiah, G Prasad Kumar, Mukesh Goud and several other officials also participated in the programme.
Though the Renewable Energy Day is observed on the birth anniversary of late Rajiv Gandhi, the function was organised today as Ramzan festival was also celebrated on August 20.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'