Power hike protests: AP govt assures relook
Hyderabad: Bowing to intensified protests by TDP and other opposition parties on the issue of power crisis, Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy tonight said the power tariff hike would be revisited so that poor sections were not burdened.
Police meanwhile shifted the fasting BJP MLAs -- G Kishan Reddy, E Lakshminarayna and Y Srinivasa Reddy -- to hospital in view of their health condition. They had launched a hunger strike four days back.
Holding present Congress and previous TDP governments responsible for the power crisis, YSR Congress Party (YSRCP) honorary president Y S Vijayamma began a `Current (electricity) Satyagraha` here today.
The Left parties and main opposition TDP have already held separate fasts over the power crisis. The fasting leaders of TDP and Left too were shifted to hospitals by police after their health condition caused concern.
Vowing to continue its protests, TDP today launched a signature campaign against the power tariff hike proposal.
TRS president K Chandrasekhar Rao maintained that Congress and TDP should be blamed for the power crisis as they have been in power for several decades now.
He also appealed to party workers to counter the argument that the separate statehood demand is not strong in Hyderabad.
Meanwhile, the Chief Minister said the hike in power tariff will be "re-looked and reduced so that poorer sections are least affected".
He said a final decision on the issue will be taken after consulting the Cabinet sub-committee on April four or five.
Reddy was speaking in Nellore district as part of his ongoing `Indiramma Bata` mass-contact programme.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you