Prabhakar Reddy is TRS nominee for Medak bypoll
Hyderabad: The ruling TRS on Tuesday announced Kotha Prabhakar Reddy as its candidate for the by-election to Medak Lok Sabha constituency in Telangana.
TRS President and Telangana Chief Minister K Chandrasekhar Rao, whose resignation necessitated the bypoll in his native district, announced the candidature of Reddy, a release said here.
Reddy, who is reportedly into transport business, was chosen over G Deviprasad, leader of Telangana employees unions.
Deviprasad, who played a key role in the Telangana statehood agitation by the government employees, was a major contender for the TRS ticket.
The release said Deviprasad would be made a member of the Legislative Council soon. The Chief Minister has decided to utilise the services of Deviprasad as a bridge between the Telangana government and the employees, it said.
Tomorrow is the last date for filing nominations and the polling would be held on September 13.
Opposition Congress has decided to go it alone in the bypoll and former Minister Sunita Laxma Reddy is said to be the front-runner for the party's ticket.
NDA partners, TDP and BJP, have decided that the saffron party would contest the by-election on behalf of the alliance.
The Medak bypoll is likely to witness a keen contest with the TRS seeking to retain the seat, vacated by its chief, and the Congress and TDP-BJP combine making a determined bid to wrest the constituency from the ruling party.
Rao quit the Medak Lok Sabha seat after he became the Chief Minister. He was elected to Legislative Assembly from Gajwel in Medak district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed