Praja Rajyam to merge with Congress on Aug 20
Hyderabad: The Praja Rajyam Party (PRP) will
officially be merged with Congress on August 20, according to
PRP president Chiranjeevi.
"We decided to officially merge Praja Rajyam with
Congress on August 20, the birth anniversary of Rajeev Gandhi.
On August 20 and 21, senior party (PRP) leaders will take
Congress party membership at Gandhi Bhavan," Chiranjeevi told
Chiranjeevi was earlier scheduled to meet AICC chief
Sonia Gandhi between August 7 and 10, to formally take primary
membership of Congress. However since Gandhi is undergoing
treatment in USA, the PRP chief is expected to take Congress
membership from Rahul Gandhi.
The PRP, which has 18 seats in the 294-seat State
Assembly, had announced the merger plans in February.
The PRP has already technically merged with the Congress
party in Andhra Pradesh, even though a public meeting could
not be organised to formalise the amalgamation.
The current political uncertainty in the state over the
bifurcation issue has jeopardised Chiranjeevi`s plans to
organise a grand meeting with Sonia or Rahul Gandhi to
formalise the merger.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened