Praja Rajyam to merge with Congress on Aug 20
Hyderabad: The Praja Rajyam Party (PRP) will
officially be merged with Congress on August 20, according to
PRP president Chiranjeevi.
"We decided to officially merge Praja Rajyam with
Congress on August 20, the birth anniversary of Rajeev Gandhi.
On August 20 and 21, senior party (PRP) leaders will take
Congress party membership at Gandhi Bhavan," Chiranjeevi told
Chiranjeevi was earlier scheduled to meet AICC chief
Sonia Gandhi between August 7 and 10, to formally take primary
membership of Congress. However since Gandhi is undergoing
treatment in USA, the PRP chief is expected to take Congress
membership from Rahul Gandhi.
The PRP, which has 18 seats in the 294-seat State
Assembly, had announced the merger plans in February.
The PRP has already technically merged with the Congress
party in Andhra Pradesh, even though a public meeting could
not be organised to formalise the amalgamation.
The current political uncertainty in the state over the
bifurcation issue has jeopardised Chiranjeevi`s plans to
organise a grand meeting with Sonia or Rahul Gandhi to
formalise the merger.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- AugustaWestland VVIP chopper scam: None will be spared, asserts Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar
- British politics in turmoil as Brexit talks loom
- US Presidential Elections: Hillary Clinton takes lead over Donald Trump, new polls show
- Pope warns against `Balkanisation` of Europe after Brexit vote
- Six killed in Lagos 'militant' attack