Praja Rajyam to merge with Congress on Aug 20
Hyderabad: The Praja Rajyam Party (PRP) will
officially be merged with Congress on August 20, according to
PRP president Chiranjeevi.
"We decided to officially merge Praja Rajyam with
Congress on August 20, the birth anniversary of Rajeev Gandhi.
On August 20 and 21, senior party (PRP) leaders will take
Congress party membership at Gandhi Bhavan," Chiranjeevi told
Chiranjeevi was earlier scheduled to meet AICC chief
Sonia Gandhi between August 7 and 10, to formally take primary
membership of Congress. However since Gandhi is undergoing
treatment in USA, the PRP chief is expected to take Congress
membership from Rahul Gandhi.
The PRP, which has 18 seats in the 294-seat State
Assembly, had announced the merger plans in February.
The PRP has already technically merged with the Congress
party in Andhra Pradesh, even though a public meeting could
not be organised to formalise the amalgamation.
The current political uncertainty in the state over the
bifurcation issue has jeopardised Chiranjeevi`s plans to
organise a grand meeting with Sonia or Rahul Gandhi to
formalise the merger.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees