Pranab meets Telangana MPs, MLAs
New Delhi: Faced with the looming
crisis in Andhra Pradesh in the wake of en masse resignations
by its legislators, Congress on Tuesday intensified efforts to
mollify them with senior leader Pranab Mukherjee meeting a
delegation of lawmakers pressing for a separate Telangana.
The delegation comprising three Ministers, few MPs,
an MLA and an MLC, met Mukherjee at his residence and the
discussions continued till late in the night.
This is the second meeting of the delegation with
senior Congress leaders today.
They had one round of discussion with Health Minister
Ghulam Nabi Azad, also party in-charge of Andhra Pradesh, and
explained as to why they resigned from their positions.
The leaders are also expected to meet Ahmed Patel,
Political Advisor to the Congress President.
The meetings are part of the Congress` strategy to
engage with the lawmakers, who have put in their papers, and
explain to them the position of the party and the Centre on
The lawmakers are believed to have told Mukherjee
that they are ready for discussions with the High Command on
the Telangana statehood issue.
They are understood to have told them that the
resignations were basically to convey the sentiments of the
people of Telangana to the Centre.
A senior member of the delegation told PTI that they
told Azad that they are ready for discussions with the party
High Command on the issue and conveyed their sentiments over
the Telangana statehood demand.
"We told him the circumstances under which the
resignations were made. He gave a patient hearing to us," a
senior member of the delegation told PTI.
He said they told Azad that the Centre should
immediately start the process of formation of a separate
"Whether they start the process with an all-party
meeting or by any means is left to them. But we want the
process to begin immediately," the senior leader said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!