President offers prayers at Tirupati
Hyderabad: President Pratibha Patil and her husband Devisingh Shekhawat on Thursday offered prayers at the famous Tirumala temple near Tirupati in Andhra Pradesh, on the occasion of their 46th wedding anniversary.
Amid chanting of Vedic hymns, the couple was blessed by a group of senior temple priests, who also performed special rituals on the occasion. Several other family members of the President were present, according to officials of Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanam (TTD), which manages the temple affairs.
Andhra Pradesh Governor ESL Narasimhan, Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy and Tirupati legislator and actor K Chiranjeevi, who has merged his Praja Rajyam Party with the Congress, were also present.
The President had reached Tirupati Wednesday evening after a five-day stay in Hyderabad as part of her southern sojourn.
After an overnight stay, she along with her family, went around the temple, had a `darshan` of Lord Venkateshawara and participated in various rituals.
Later in the day, Patil will inaugurate Annadanam or free meal complex at the temple.
Built by TTD at a cost of Rs 33 crore, the complex will serve free food to 75,000 to 100,000 pilgrims a day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16