Prez poll: TDP suspends 4 rebel MLAs for voting
Hyderabad: The Telugu Desam Party (TDP) on Friday suspended four of its `rebel` MLAs from the party with immediate effect for defying it and voting in the Presidential election yesterday.
MLAs Chinnam Ramakotaiah (Nuzivid), Y Balanagi Reddy (Mantralayam), K Harishwar Reddy (Parigi), S Venugopalachary (Mudhole) and Kodali Srivenkateswara Rao alias Nani (Gudivada) exercised their franchise in the Presidential election yesterday though the TDP decided to abstain from the poll.
Nani had already been suspended from the party a few days ago, after he met YSR Congress honorary president YS Vijaya. His joining the YSRC is now seen as a mere formality.
Balanagi Reddy had also been moving with Kadapa MP YS Jaganmohan Reddy for many months now.
Ramakotaiah was seen in the company of Congress MLAs yesterday, leaving enough hints that he was ready to crossover. He had been speaking against the party and its leadership for some time now and was expected to switch sides anytime. Initially he thought of joining the YSRC bandwagon, but with no positive signals from that side, Ramakotaiah apparently started efforts to get into the ruling party.
Harishwar Reddy and Venugopalachary have distanced themselves from the TDP several months ago criticising its ambivalent stand on the Telangana statehood issue. They were, however, technically continuing as TDP MLAs.
Given the facts, these MLAs violating the party line in the Presidential elections, did not cause any surprise, though it left the TDP leadership exasperated.
TDP chief N Chandrababu Naidu discussed the issue with his senior colleagues today and decided to crack the whip immediately as it was "already late".
Accordingly, a one-line statement was issued by the party late in the evening saying the four MLAs have been suspended with immediate effect.
With its latest action, the TDP`s effective strength in the 294-member AP Assembly gets reduced to 81.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) TNBSE Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 declared