Pro-Telangana lawyers hold protest at Hyderabad airport
Hyderabad: A group of pro-Telangana lawyers on Thursday held a protest at the airport here just before the arrival of the members of Sri Krishna Committee appointed by the Centre to look into the statehood issue.
The advocates, raising slogans like `Srikrishna Committee go back` and `Jai Telangana`, barged into the Rajiv Gandhi International Airport premises and tried to stage a sit-in,
but were taken into custody by the police.
The lawyers last month held a massive protest at Jantar Mantar in New Delhi and some of them breached police restrictions and reached the Parliament.
Dubbing the appointment of the panel as "delaying tactic" by the Centre, the lawyers demanded that a bill be tabled in the Parliament immediately for the formation of Telangana.
They had held protests at the headquarters of Telugu Desam here and also `gheraoed` senior Congress MLA K Jana Reddy for not quitting his post to mount pressure on the
The Telangana Joint Action Committee (JAC), formed to spearhead the statehood stir, called for "peaceful protests" against the visit of the committee today and tomorrow.
"This visit is purely an introductory one. The entire committee will travel to Hyderabad and discuss with the state government officials about the facilities we need and other
things," the panel`s Member-Secretary Vinod K Duggal has said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: All seats declared - BJP emerges as biggest gainer, bags 81 seats; Shiv Sena gets 84
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Big setback for Shiv Sena as BJP bags 81 seats in BMC
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway