Pro-Telangana organisations observe "betrayal day"
Hyderabad: Pro-Telangana organisations on Sunday held demonstrations and across Telangana region of Andhra Pradesh observing the day as `Betrayal Day`.
The protest was against the Central government, which the organisations alleged "went back on its promise" of carving a separate Telangana state.
Police foiled an attempt by pro-Telangana activists to lay siege to Gandhi Bhavan here and took into custody 86 protesters, including the chairman of Telangana Political Joint Action Committee (TJAC) M Kodandaram and leaders of different organisations.
The protesters raised slogans against the Congress government and protested against the Centre going back on its promise of initiating the process of state formation, on December 23, 2009.
The leaders and members of different pro-Telangana organisations were taken into preventive custody and were later let off, a police officer said.
There were reports of demonstrations and processions being held by various Telangana organisations in Karimnagar, Warangal, Nalgonda, Nizamabad and other Telangana districts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- US mother thrashes daughter on Facebook Live –Know why
- Anuja Chauhan's next novel to be about men in uniform
- Who is the lead actress in Salman Khan's 'Tubelight'? Here's what we know so far!
- 'Some objects' spotted as search for missing IAF AN-32 aircraft enters sixth day
- Even Anushka Sharma failed to escape 'Pokemon Go' fever! Watch videos