Pro-Telangana organisations observe "betrayal day"
Hyderabad: Pro-Telangana organisations on Sunday held demonstrations and across Telangana region of Andhra Pradesh observing the day as `Betrayal Day`.
The protest was against the Central government, which the organisations alleged "went back on its promise" of carving a separate Telangana state.
Police foiled an attempt by pro-Telangana activists to lay siege to Gandhi Bhavan here and took into custody 86 protesters, including the chairman of Telangana Political Joint Action Committee (TJAC) M Kodandaram and leaders of different organisations.
The protesters raised slogans against the Congress government and protested against the Centre going back on its promise of initiating the process of state formation, on December 23, 2009.
The leaders and members of different pro-Telangana organisations were taken into preventive custody and were later let off, a police officer said.
There were reports of demonstrations and processions being held by various Telangana organisations in Karimnagar, Warangal, Nalgonda, Nizamabad and other Telangana districts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed unanimously in state Assembly; violence rocks Tamil Nadu
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog