Pro-Telangana organisations observe "betrayal day"
Hyderabad: Pro-Telangana organisations on Sunday held demonstrations and across Telangana region of Andhra Pradesh observing the day as `Betrayal Day`.
The protest was against the Central government, which the organisations alleged "went back on its promise" of carving a separate Telangana state.
Police foiled an attempt by pro-Telangana activists to lay siege to Gandhi Bhavan here and took into custody 86 protesters, including the chairman of Telangana Political Joint Action Committee (TJAC) M Kodandaram and leaders of different organisations.
The protesters raised slogans against the Congress government and protested against the Centre going back on its promise of initiating the process of state formation, on December 23, 2009.
The leaders and members of different pro-Telangana organisations were taken into preventive custody and were later let off, a police officer said.
There were reports of demonstrations and processions being held by various Telangana organisations in Karimnagar, Warangal, Nalgonda, Nizamabad and other Telangana districts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Petrol prices in major Indian cities after latest hike!
- IPL 2016: Axar Patel's four-wicket haul guides Kings XI Punjab to 23-run win over table-toppers Gujarat Lions
- Diesel prices in major Indian cities after latest hike!
- A much needed break! PM Modi spends some moments of solitude with a boat ride in Varanasi – Watch
- ISIS makes Indian terrorist its poster boy in new video to lure youth from country