Pro-Telangana organisations observe "betrayal day"
Hyderabad: Pro-Telangana organisations on Sunday held demonstrations and across Telangana region of Andhra Pradesh observing the day as `Betrayal Day`.
The protest was against the Central government, which the organisations alleged "went back on its promise" of carving a separate Telangana state.
Police foiled an attempt by pro-Telangana activists to lay siege to Gandhi Bhavan here and took into custody 86 protesters, including the chairman of Telangana Political Joint Action Committee (TJAC) M Kodandaram and leaders of different organisations.
The protesters raised slogans against the Congress government and protested against the Centre going back on its promise of initiating the process of state formation, on December 23, 2009.
The leaders and members of different pro-Telangana organisations were taken into preventive custody and were later let off, a police officer said.
There were reports of demonstrations and processions being held by various Telangana organisations in Karimnagar, Warangal, Nalgonda, Nizamabad and other Telangana districts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town