Pro-Telangana organisations observe "betrayal day"
Hyderabad: Pro-Telangana organisations on Sunday held demonstrations and across Telangana region of Andhra Pradesh observing the day as `Betrayal Day`.
The protest was against the Central government, which the organisations alleged "went back on its promise" of carving a separate Telangana state.
Police foiled an attempt by pro-Telangana activists to lay siege to Gandhi Bhavan here and took into custody 86 protesters, including the chairman of Telangana Political Joint Action Committee (TJAC) M Kodandaram and leaders of different organisations.
The protesters raised slogans against the Congress government and protested against the Centre going back on its promise of initiating the process of state formation, on December 23, 2009.
The leaders and members of different pro-Telangana organisations were taken into preventive custody and were later let off, a police officer said.
There were reports of demonstrations and processions being held by various Telangana organisations in Karimnagar, Warangal, Nalgonda, Nizamabad and other Telangana districts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on political reasons responsible for 50 days of Kashmir unrest
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games Part-II
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children Part II
- RSS to start awareness campaign against changing name of WB
- What a pervert! Bijnor imam caught on camera during rape – Watch shocking video
- Defender Cedric Soares renews contract with Southampton until 2020
- Sakshi Malik, PV Sindhu, Dipa Karmakar, Pullela Gopichand to be gifted BMW cars
- Expect 8% GDP growth in FY17 on back of good monsoon: Shaktikanta Das