Pro-Telangana stir has not crossed limit of lawlessness: Kiran
New Delhi: Sandwitched between conflicting demands on the issue of separate Telangana, Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy on Saturday treaded cautiously on the ticklish matter and said pro-statehood agitation has not yet crossed the "limit of lawlessness".
"The Srikrishna Committee report has come. The Congress high command is doing an exercise of interaction with the MPs of the two regions...I think the process is going on....once this process of interaction is over... I think we will know what the Congress high command does...let them decide," he told reporters here.
Reacting to questions on the ongoing agitaion for Telangana state, Reddy said "democratically whatever they are allowed to do, we are not going to come in the way of that. They can protest according to democratic rights they have got."
"These demonstrations and other things are going on...and they have not crossed any limit of lawlessness....(If) It is within the limit, the government does not mind," he said.
Reddy had met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh yesterday for the first time after the release of the Justice Srikrishna Committee Report on the issue of Telangana.
The Committee had given six options including keeping Andhra Pradesh united with Constitutional powers to Telangana region and carving out Telangana from Andhra Pradesh.
The Chief Minister also met Home Minister P Chidambaram, Defence Minister A K Antony, Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee.
Amid conflicting demands, the Congress high command is treading with caution on the issue. Party MPs from Telangana have asked the government to bring a bill for Telangana in the upcoming budget session of Parliament.
On January 12, Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee had held a meeting with a group of 14 party MPs from Telangana in which the members had made it clear that there was no alternative to a separate state.
The top party leadership had indicated yesterday that an all-party meeting on the issue is likely to held in the first week of February.
Indication to this effect was given after the Congress top brass, including the Prime Minister and Party chief Sonia Gandhi, had deliberated on the issue at the party`s core group meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'